- What's your job? What do you do?
These expressions are used to ask about jobs and employment.The word WORK is a verb which means TRABAJAR, and is it's also used in expressions like: Had work (trabajo duro).We say:
- "I work as a teacher, I work as a lawyer"
The word CAREER is used to refer to employment, (carrera laboral in Spanish, "I have a long career as singer"). Carrera referring to studies is called: Degree (carrera universitaria).
- Ganarse la vida: to make a living, to earn a living
- Employer (empleador) employee (empleado)
- To be unemployed (desempleado) to be on the dole (estar en el paro)
- To recruit staff (contratar plantilla) is the opposite of TO DISMISS STAFF (despedir plantilla). To fire someone (despedir, in a colloquial way, echar)
- To make money: ganar dinero
- To retire (retirarse, jubilarse).
The following link also shows more words related to this lexical field